views updated

platten The roller, often made of a hard rubber-like substance, used in some impact printers to provide a backing for the stationery. The platten may also drive the paper when feeding between lines or forms (often known as friction drive). The platten is sometimes provided with sprockets to drive continuous stationery or may be used with separate paper tractors.