Guildhall School of Music and Drama

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Mus. acad. est. 1880 by Corporation of City of London in warehouse at Aldermanbury. Moved in 1887 to Blackfriars, when number of students had risen in 7 years from 62 to 2,700. Buildings extended in 1898 and 1970. In 1977 moved to present building in Barbican Arts Centre. Name changed to add ‘and Drama’ in 1935. Full-time courses. First prin. Weist-Hill 1880–92, followed by Sir Joseph Barnby 1892–6, W. H. Cummings 1896–1910, Sir Landon Ronald 1910–38, Edric Cundell 1938–59, Gordon Thorne 1959–65, Allen Percival 1965–78, John Hosier 1978–88, Ian Horsbrugh 1989–2002, Genista McIntosh from 2002.

More From Encyclopedia.com


MORE ON THIS TOPIC