Bösendorfer, firm of piano makers at Vienna, specializing in concert grands. It was established by Ignaz Bòsendorfer (b. Vienna, July 27, 1794; d. there, April 14, 1859) in 1828, and later managed by his son Ludwig (b. Vienna, April 10, 1835; d. there, May 9, 1919). The firm, retaining its original name, was taken over by Carl Hutterstrasser (1863–1942). The Bòsendorfer Saal (opened by Hans von Bülow in 1872, and used until 1913) was one of the finest chamber music concert halls in Europe.
—Nicolas Slonimsky/Laura Kuhn/Dennis McIntire