views updated

International Institute for Psychic Investigation

British organization formed in January 1939 by the merger of the British College of Psychic Science and the International Institute for Psychical Research (IIPI). The institute was founded in 1934 by Mrs. Dawson Scott, pupil and associate of pioneer psychical researcher J. Hewat McKenzie; J. Arthur Findlay; and Shaw Desmond. The institute had as its aim investigation of psychic phenomena by the objective methods of laboratory research. Fraser Harris was appointed as the original research officer. He was succeeded by Nandor Fodor, who held the post until the summer of 1938. The IIPR premises at Harrington Rd., London, SW, were later moved to Walton House, Walton St., London, SW3.

The institute emphasized the need for experimental work and secured photographic and recording apparatuses to investigate and record voice and physical phenomena. The council consisted of both Spiritualists and non-Spiritualists, ensuring a balanced approach to the investigation of paranormal phenomena.

The institute published papers on their experiments, including the following: Bulletin I: Historic Poltergeists, by Hereward Carrington; The Saragossa Ghost, by Nandor Fodor; Bulletin II: The Lajos Pap Experiments, by Nandor Fodor; and Bulletin III: Enquiry into the Cloud-Chamber Method of Studying the "Intra-Atomic Quantity," by G. J. Hopper.

During January 1939 the institute was amalgamated with the British College of Psychic Science (BCPS) under the name International Institute for Psychic Investigation (IIPR). The BCPS transferred many of its workers and its excellent reference library to the IIPR at the Walton House. Publication of the college's valuable journal, Psychic Science, continued under the auspices of the institute. With the outbreak of war the organization had a difficult time, however, and collapsed in 1947. The library and records were dispersed or destroyed by bombing.

Its place was to a large extent filled by the College of Psychic Science, in London, formed in 1955 from the long-established London Spiritualist Alliance, originally founded in 1884. The College of Psychic Science had similar objectives to the BCPS and IIPR and at one time or another leading Spiritualists or psychical researchers connected with the earlier organizations also took part in its activities. The college also maintains a reference library at its premises in 16 Queensberry Pl., South Kensington, London, SW7., and arranges for consultations with mediums, currently carried out under the new name College of Psychic Studies.

Sources:

Edmunds, Simeon. Spiritualism: A Critical Survey. London: Aquarian Press, 1966.

International Institute for Psychic Investigation

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article

NEARBY TERMS

International Institute for Psychic Investigation