SEDEH NEḤEMYAH (Heb. שְׂדֵה נְחֶמְיָה), kibbutz in northern Israel, in the Ḥuleh Valley, affiliated with Iḥud ha-Kevuzot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. Sedeh Neḥemyah was founded in 1940 by pioneers from Holland and Czechoslovakia in the vicinity of the then-existing Ḥuleh Swamps. In 1970 Sedeh Neḥemyah had 304 inhabitants, rising to 383 in 2002. Farming was intensive and fully irrigated, based on field crops (in partnership with Kibbutz *Amir and Kibbutz *Shamir), fruit orchards, and citrus groves. The kibbutz also manufactured plastic products. Its name commemorates the Dutch Zionist Nehemiah de *Lieme.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]