SCHAFFHAUSEN , canton and its capital city in N. Switzerland. The earliest record of Jews in the canton is dated 1291. The Jews were burned there during the excesses of 1349, and in 1401 all the Jews in the city were condemned to death and 30 were burned. The Jews were expelled from the canton in 1475. Individual Jews who visited the canton during the 16th to 18th centuries were refused the right of residence. Jews of nearby southern German rural communitites (Gailingen, Randegg, Worblingen and Wangen) appeared on weekdays doing business as livestock traders and peddlers. In 1865 the laws restricting Jewish settlement were repealed, and by 1874 full emancipation was granted. However, few Jews settled there. A minyan existed in the 1920s.
F. Guggenheim-Gruenberg, Die Juden in der Schweiz (1961); A. Weldler-Steinberg, Geschichte der Juden in der Schweiz (1966), index; Germ Jud, 2 (1968), 740–2.
[Uri Kaufmann (2nd ed.)]
"Schaffhausen." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 19, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/schaffhausen
"Schaffhausen." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Retrieved August 19, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/schaffhausen