Saint-Sever-de-Rustan, Abbey of
SAINT-SEVER-DE-RUSTAN, ABBEY OF
Former benedictine monastery in Rabastens, Hautes-Pyrénées, France, Diocese of Tarbes (Latin, S. Severus de Rustano or de Albiciaco ). Reputedly founded as a monastery c. 500 but destroyed by the Saracens c. 732, it was refounded under the Benedictine rule in the 10th century. A charter, restoring this abbey near the tomb of St. Severus, was granted by Count William Sancius, and the first known abbot was Arscinus. To restore discipline, Count Centullus of Bigorre made it dependent on saint-victor in marseilles in 1087; the grant was confirmed by Pope Urban II in 1089. It suffered heavily
during the wars of religion of the 16th century, being sacked in 1573. It came under the maurists between 1646 and 1650; it was suppressed during the French Revolution. The abbey church, dating in part from the 11th century, now serves as a parish church. The cloisters (14th century) have been transported to the museum of Tarbes.
Bibliography: Acta Sanctorum Nov. 1:238–240. Gallia Christiana, v.1–13 (Paris 1715–85), v.14–16 (Paris 1856–65) 1:1243–46. l. h. cottineau, Répertoire topobibliographique des abbayes et prieurés, 2 v. (Mâcon 1935–39) 2:2889.
[g. e. gingras]