Sacramentine Sisters of Bergamo
SACRAMENTINE SISTERS OF BERGAMO
Also known as Suore Sacramentine di Bergamo, a congregation with papal approbation (1908), founded at Bergamo, Italy, in 1882 by Geltrude Catarina comensoli (1847–1903). The sisters have as their special purposes daily eucharistic adoration and the education of youth. Catarina, who became known in religion as Mother Gertrude of the Blessed Sacrament, gathered her first companions in 1882, and received the religious habit in 1884. From Bergamo, where they had started their activity, the sisters had to move to Lodi, Italy, where they received episcopal approval in 1891. The foundress died in 1903. The congregation has expanded to Europe, Africa, and South America.
Bibliography: c. comensoli, Un’anima eucaristica, madre Gertrude Comensoli (Monza 1936). La Suora Sacramentina alla scuola della Serva di Dio Madre Gertrude Comensoli (Bergamo 1960).