SA'AD (Heb. סַעַד; "Buttress"), kibbutz in southern Israel, on the border of the Negev, 4 mi. (6 km.) southeast of Gaza, affiliated with Ha-Kibbutz ha-Dati. Sa'ad was founded in 1947 by *Youth Aliyah graduates from Germany and Austria. The settlers were joined by Israeli-born youth and immigrants from various countries. In the *War of Independence Sa'ad was completely leveled in long and bitter battles with the invading Egyptian army. The settlers held out in underground dugouts. After the war they built the village anew about 1 mi. (2 km.) further east. Sa'ad then developed intensive farming with irrigation from the Yarkon-Negev line and, later, from the National Water Carrier. The economy was based on livestock, field crops, citrus and other fruit, poultry, and dairy cattle. The kibbutz also had plants manufacturing plastic shrinkwrap film for packaging, as well as popcorn products and pet food. Other enterprises were a fashion outlet, a handmade jewelry workshop, and an auto service center. In 1970 there were 530 inhabitants; in 2002, 582.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]