Nunraw, Abbey of
NUNRAW, ABBEY OF
To date the only Cistercian monastery built in Scotland since the Reformation. It was founded in 1946 as a daughterhouse of roscrea (Ireland) at Haddington, East Lothian, near Edinburgh, and made an abbey in 1948. The site originally belonged to a Cistercian convent (founded 1152–58), which passed into private hands on the death of the last prioress (1563).
Bibliography: m. sherry, Nunraw (Edinburgh 1963). Royal Commission of Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: County of East Lothian (Edinburgh 1924) xxix, xliv, xlvi, 45. w. f. gray and j. h. jamieson, A Short History of Haddington (Edinburgh 1944) 9, 22, 29–30, 41, 83, 121, 146. Transactions of the East Lothian Antiquarian Society, 5 (1952) 2–24; 6 (1953) 1–5. The Catholic Directory for the Clergy and Laity of Scotland, 1964 (Glasgow 1964) 75.
"Nunraw, Abbey of." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Encyclopedia.com. (December 11, 2018). https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/nunraw-abbey
"Nunraw, Abbey of." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Retrieved December 11, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/nunraw-abbey