MIZRA (Heb. מִזְרָע; "sown field"), kibbutz in northern Israel, north of Afulah, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. It was founded in 1923 by pioneers from Central Europe, who were later joined by others. Farming was highly intensive, including fruit orchards, citrus groves, field crops, and dairy cattle, and the kibbutz also ran a meat factory and a plant producing hydraulic presses. More recently, Mizra began to develop a tourist industry, including a hotel, restaurant, and small museum documenting the history of the kibbutz. In 1969 Mizra had 610 inhabitants; in 2002, 722.
[Efram Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]