KOLAROVGRAD (since 1956, Shumen ), town in eastern Bulgaria. Jews first settled in Kolarovgrad in the 18th century, in what became a special Jewish quarter. The first school to be established by the Alliance Israélite Universelle in Bulgaria (1869), a girls' school, was situated at Kolarovgrad. In 1878 there was a Jewish population of 1,100, in 1910 of 1,200. In 1943 the Jews were threatened with deportation, but the 1943 decree of expulsion from Bulgaria was not carried out. In 2004 there was a small community of around 40 Jews affiliated to the local branch of the nationwide Shalom organization.
S. Mézan, Les Juifs espagnols en Bulgarie (1925), passim.
[Simon Marcus /
Emil Kalo (2nd ed.)]
"Kolarovgrad." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Encyclopedia.com. (October 23, 2018). https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/kolarovgrad
"Kolarovgrad." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Retrieved October 23, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/kolarovgrad