HA-OGEN (Heb. הָעֹגֶן; "the anchor"), kibbutz in central Israel in the Ḥefer Plain, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir, founded in 1947. The founding settlers from Czechoslovakia and Austria were later joined by new members from other countries. In 1969 Ha-Ogen had 500 inhabitants and engaged in intensive farming, ran a plastic-tube factory, and was a partner in a rubber factory. The kibbutz also operated a recording studio, serving leading Israeli singers. In the mid-1990s, the population was approximately 600, dropping to 542 in 2002.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]