GELNHAUSEN , town in Germany. The Gelnhausen Jews paid their annual tax to the imperial treasury jointly with the Frankfurt community in 1241. In 1347 Emperor Louis iv offered the revenues from Gelnhausen Jewry as security on a loan. The community was annihilated during the *Black Death persecutions (1349) and the burghers were released from their debts to the Jews. By 1360 Jews had again settled in the town. In the late 17th century they were active as moneylenders, despite restrictions and threats of expulsion. A burial society was founded in 1711 and in 1734 the synagogue was rebuilt. The community then numbered 33 families. It remained approximately the same size in the 19th century (some 200 persons) and until the Nazi advent to power. The last Jew left Gelnhausen on Oct. 1, 1938. After World War ii several Jews returned to the region but no organized community was formed. They numbered 27 in 1960.
Roth, in: zgjo, 5 (1892), 188; Aus Alter und Neuer Zeit (June 25, 1925); Germ Jud, 2 (1968), 273–5; fjw, 187; Yad Vashem Archives; pkg.
"Gelnhausen." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Encyclopedia.com. (January 23, 2019). https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/gelnhausen
"Gelnhausen." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Retrieved January 23, 2019 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/gelnhausen