Benedictine abbey in Ealing, a suburb of London, England; dedicated to St. Benedict. At the request of Cardinal Herbert vaughan, monks from downside established in Ealing a parish and a small school (1895), which became priory (1916), autonomous (1947), and an abbey (1955). The neo-Gothic church, damaged during World War II, has been restored (1962). Wolstan Pearson was the first prior; Charles Pontifex, the first abbot. In 1963 the community numbered 30 monks; the parish, 7,000 Catholics; and the public school, 700 boys.
Bibliography: The Tablet 205 (May, June 1955). The Benedictine Almanac and Guide 1963 (London 1963).
"Ealing Abbey." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Encyclopedia.com. (January 23, 2019). https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/ealing-abbey
"Ealing Abbey." New Catholic Encyclopedia. . Retrieved January 23, 2019 from Encyclopedia.com: https://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/ealing-abbey