CADENET , village near Avignon, southeastern France. The first mention of a Jewish community there dates from 1283. In 1335 an anti-Jewish riot was accompanied by murder and pillage. Subsequently, there is no further evidence of the presence of Jews in Cadenet itself, but Jews originally from Cadenet are found in surrounding cities. The Rue de la Juiverie with a gate intended to isolate the Jewish quarter still exists in Cadenet. Jews wishing to settle there in 1775 were forced to leave.
Gross, Gal Jud, 548f.; Kahn, in: rej, 39 (1899), 95ff.; E. Baratier, Démographie provençale du xiiième au xvième siècle (1961), index; Z. Szajkowski, Franco-Judaica (1962), no. 337.