Anglesey, Priory of
ANGLESEY, PRIORY OF
Cambridgeshire, England, Ely Diocese (patrons, SS. Mary and Nicholas). It was of unknown origin, served as a hospital in the 12th century, and was refounded for the canons regular of st. augustine, probably when it was endowed by Richard de Clare (c. 1212). It was further endowed and its buildings provided (1217–36) by Master Lawrence of St. Nicholas, papal chaplain. It undertook many chantry services for small benefactions in the 13th century. It was also enriched (1331–60) under the patronage of Elizabeth de Burgh, Lady Clare. The community numbered usually nine members. Its 1535 income was £125; it was suppressed in 1536.
Bibliography: A Descriptive Catalogue of Ancient Deeds in the Public Records Office (London 1890). No known chronicle or cartulary. w. dugdale, Monasticon Anglicanum (London 1655–73); best ed. by j. caley et al., 6 v. (1817–30) 6:394–396. e. hailstone, The History and Antiquities of … the Priory of Anglesey (Cambridge, Eng. 1873). The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Cambridge and the Isle of Ely, v. 2 (London 1948) 229–234.