Wolfsburg (vôlfs´bŏŏrkh), city (1994 pop. 128,032), Lower Saxony, N central Germany, on the Midland Canal. A small village in 1937, Wolfsburg grew and prospered as the headquarters of the Volkswagen automobile company, which opened there in 1938 under the National Socialists, who named the city KdF-Stadt (from the German initials for strength through joy). The majority of the city's working population is employed in Volkswagen's huge factory. An Alvar Aalto–designed cultural center, the Autostadt museum, and the Phaeno Science Center are there.