Stargard Szczeciński (stär´gärt shchĕchēN´skē), formerly Stargard in Pommern (Ĭn pô´mərn), town (1994 est. pop. 72,000), Zachodniopomorskie prov., NW Poland. It is a rail junction and has metalworking and chemical industries. Chartered in the 13th cent., the town later joined the Hanseatic League. It was the capital of Farther Pomerania, with which it passed to Brandenburg in 1648. The town, which was virtually obliterated during World War II, remained in German hands until its incorporation into Poland in 1945.