Kellogg Foundation, philanthropic institution established (1930) at Battle Creek, Mich., by food manufacturer W. K. Kellogg (see under Kellogg, John Harvey). Kellogg eventually gave the institution a total of $47 million, and by 1990 its endowment had increased to more than $3.5 billion. After World War II the foundation broadened its interests, formerly restricted to Michigan, to include support of agricultural, health, and education projects throughout the world, with an emphasis on activities in the Western Hemisphere. The foundation has concentrated on the application of knowledge rather than on basic research. See philanthropy.