Jarosław (yärô´släf), town (1994 est. pop. 42,500), Podkarpackie prov., SE Poland, on the San River. The town was founded by Yaroslav the Wise, duke of Kiev, in the 11th cent. It passed to Poland in 1382. Despite continuous Tatar raids, it developed as an important trade center in the 15th and 16th cent. It passed to Austria in 1772 and was restored to Poland in 1919.