Como (kō´mō), city (1991 pop. 87,059), capital of Como prov., Lombardy, N Italy, at the southwest end of Lake Como, near the Swiss border. It is an important tourist center and is noted for its silk industry. Originally a Roman colony, Como became an independent commune in the 11th cent. and was frequently at war with, and ruled by, Milan. It later came under Spanish and Austrian control and was liberated by Garibaldi in 1859. In the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, artisans, architects, and sculptors from Como (the maestri comacini) were renowned throughout Italy. The city has a remarkable marble cathedral (14th–18th cent.), a 13th-century city hall, and several Romanesque churches.
Lake Como (kō´mō), Ital. Lago di Como or Lario, c.56 sq mi (145 sq km), 30 mi (48 km) long and from 1/2 to 21/2 mi (0.8–4 km) wide, in Lombardy, N Italy. Lake Como is a natural widening of the Adda River, which feeds and drains the lake. Situated in the foothills of the Alps, the lake is one of the most beautiful of Europe. It is a tourist resort, and handsome villas line its shores. Lecco, Como, Varennes, and Bellagio are principal towns.
COMO , city in Lombardy, northern Italy. In 1400 the Christian residents of Como requested the duke of Milan to segregate its few Jewish inhabitants. The Jews living in Como during the 15th century were mainly engaged in moneylending. They suffered considerably from the animosity aroused in the Christian populace by the preaching of the friars, but the duke did not yield to demands for their expulsion. However, in 1597 the Spanish government expelled the Jews from the duchy and the community in Como ceased to exist.
Milano, Italia, index; Motta, in: Periodico della Società storica comense, 5 (1885), 7–44.
[Umberto (Moses David) Cassuto]