Scharoun, Hans Bernard
He designed a series of residential schemes (‘Romeo’ and ‘Juliet’ apartments, Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen (1954–9), ‘Salute’ block, Stuttgart-Möhringen (1961–3), and dwellings at Charlottenburg-Nord, Berlin (1956–61)), schools, and other structures. His most celebrated building, however, is the Philharmonie (Hall for the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra), Berlin (1956–63), where the auditorium is surrounded by foyers and offices, the whole freely composed in a way some have seen as a late flowering of Expressionism, or even as evidence of Scharoun's commitment to organic architecture. He also designed the Prussian State Library, Berlin (1964–79), sited on the Kulturforum that includes the Philharmonie and Mies van der Rohe's National Gallery, but it has to be said that these structures relate neither to each other nor to the city as a place of memory, and ignore one of the most significant historical axes. He also designed the German Embassy in Brasilia (1963–71), the Maritime Museum, Bremerhaven (1969–75), and the Town Theatre, Wolfsburg (1965–74), among other projects.
Builder Jodidio (1995);
Conrads & and Sperlich (1960);
Hoh-Slodczyk et al. (1992);
Kirschenmann & and Syring (1993);
Messina et al. (1969);
Placzek (ed.) (1982);
Syring & and Kirschenmann (2004);
Jane Turner (1996)
Hans Scharoun (häns shär´oun), 1893–1972, German architect. A member of the expressionist circle, Scharoun used a dynamic, sculptural approach to design throughout his long career. He conceived the Geschwister Scholl High School in Lunen, Westphalia (1962), as a complex of apartmentlike classrooms, built to create for its students a continuity between home and school environments. Scharoun was also noted for theater and concert-hall designs such as the acclaimed Berlin Philharmonic Building (1956–63).