Rainaldi, Carlo

views updated Jun 11 2018

Rainaldi, Carlo (1611–91). Rome-born architect who adopted aspects of late Mannerism and Baroque. The son of Girolamo Rainaldi (1570–1655—the architect of the Church of Santa Teresa, Caprarola (from 1620), and the Palazzo Pamphili, Piazza Navona, Rome (1645–50)), he worked with his father (Chief Papal Architect, appointed in 1644 by Innocent X (1644–55)) on the Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone, Piazza Navona, Rome (from 1652). Borromini took over in 1653, but was sacked in 1657, after which Carlo Rainaldi was recalled, although Bernini and Cortona were consultants. To Rainaldi the plan, front, and huge piers are credited Other buildings include the brilliantly articulated Santa Maria in Campitelli (1662–75), the front of Sant'Andrea della Valle (1656–65), and the apparently twin churches (1662–79) flanking the axis of the Corso in the Piazza del Pòpolo (one church (Santa Maria in Montesanto—Bernini replaced Rainaldi in 1673) has an elliptical dome to make it appear the same diameter as the dome of its ‘twin’ because the sites are of different size).


Eimer (1970–1);
Fagiolo dell'Arco & and Carandini (1977–8);
Fasolo (1961);
Norberg-Schulz (1986);
Placzek (ed.) (1982);
Jane Turner (1996);
Varriano (1986);
Wittkower (1982)

About this article

Carlo Rainaldi

All Sources -
Updated Aug 24 2016 About encyclopedia.com content Print Topic