All Sources -
Updated Media sources (1) About encyclopedia.com content Print Topic
See also 23. ART ; 305. ORNAMENTATION .
- the art or technique of carving a wood block in relief. —acrographer , n. —acrographic , acrographical , adj.
- an engraver, usually in metal. Also called graver .
- the art or technique of engraving cameos.
- 1 . the name of the engraver inscribed on a gemstone or finger ring.
- 2 . an artist who engraves precious stones and metals. Also dactylioglyphist .
- the art of engraving gemstones and finger rings.
- the art of engraving gemstones. —dactyliographer , n. —dactyliographic , adj.
- a form of engraving in which the design is in relief instead of being sunk.
- the use of chemically induced electric current rather than chemicals to produce plates for copperplate engraving. —galvanograph , n. —galvanographic , ad).
- 1 . an engraving on a gemstone or other small object.
- 2 . the stone or object engraved.
- 1 . the art of engraving, especially on gems.
- 2 . the study of this art.
- 1 . an engraving or carving on a gem stone.
- 2 . the stone thus engraved. —lithoglyphic, lithoglyptic , adj.
- Obsolete, an engraver of precious stones.
- the art of engraving or carving precious stones. —lithoglyptic , adj.
- an engraver, designer, or maker of medals. See also 210. HONORS and REGALIA .
- photogravure or the process of engraving by means of photography. —photoglyphic , adj.
- 1 . a form of photoengraving in which the photograph is reproduced on an intaglio surface and then transferred to paper.
- 2 . the photograph produced by this process.
- the process of making lithographs produced by photoengraving. Cf. photogravure . —photolithographer , n. —photolithographic , adj.
- a technique of engraving on steel plates, often used in the printing of banknotes. —siderograph, siderographist , n. —siderographic, siderographical , adj.
- the art of drawing, writing, or engraving with a style or similar instrument. —stylographic, stylographical , adj.
- the art of engraving on wood for printing. —xylographer , n. —xylographic , xylographical , adj.
- the process of engraving on zinc or of printing from a zinc plate. —zincographer , n. —zincographic , zincographical , adj.
engraving •pennyfarthing • plaything •silversmithing • anything •everything • northing • nothing •something • rebirthing • farthing •scathing • sheathing •tithing, writhing •southing • clothing • underclothing •Worthing • carving • woodcarving •delving •craving, engraving, paving, raving, saving, shaving •self-deceiving, unbelieving, weaving •living, misgiving, thanksgiving, unforgiving •skydiving • piledriving • coving •approving, reproving, unmoving •unloving •Irving, serving, unswerving •time-serving • lapwing • waxwing •batwing • redwing • lacewing •beeswing • forewing • downswing •outswing • viewing • upswing •underwing • phrasing • stargazing •trailblazing • hellraising • unpleasing •rising, surprising •self-aggrandizing • uncompromising •unpatronizing • uprising •enterprising • appetizing •Dowsing, housing •unimposing •amusing, confusing, musing