Skip to main content

Bolaang Mongondow

Bolaang Mongondow

ETHNONYMS: Bolaang-Mongondo, Boolaang-Mongondonese, Mongondou, Mongondow

A 1983 estimate places the population of the Bolaang Mongondow at over 1.5 million. They live on the northern or Minahassa peninsula of Sulawesi, Indonesia. They are a coastal group who merged with the inland Mongondow. Bolaang Mongondow is classified in the Hesperonesian Group of Austronesian languages. Villages are strung along roads, mostly on the upland plateaus. Subsistence is based on wet rice, sago, yams, and cassava. Domestic animals include pigs, cattle, buffalo, goats, and chickens. Islam dates to 1830, and about 90 percent of the people are Muslims. The other 10 percent are mainly Protestant. Descent is bilateral. Bolaang Mongondow society was traditionally divided into nobles, commoners, and slaves, with each group having many subdivisions.


LeBar, Frank M. (1972). "Bolaang Mongondow." In Ethnic Groups of Insular Southeast Asia, edited by Frank M. LeBar. Vol. 1, Indonesia, Andaman Islands, and Madagascar, 127128. New Haven: HRAF Press.

Cite this article
Pick a style below, and copy the text for your bibliography.

  • MLA
  • Chicago
  • APA

"Bolaang Mongondow." Encyclopedia of World Cultures. . 18 Apr. 2019 <>.

"Bolaang Mongondow." Encyclopedia of World Cultures. . (April 18, 2019).

"Bolaang Mongondow." Encyclopedia of World Cultures. . Retrieved April 18, 2019 from

Learn more about citation styles

Citation styles gives you the ability to cite reference entries and articles according to common styles from the Modern Language Association (MLA), The Chicago Manual of Style, and the American Psychological Association (APA).

Within the “Cite this article” tool, pick a style to see how all available information looks when formatted according to that style. Then, copy and paste the text into your bibliography or works cited list.

Because each style has its own formatting nuances that evolve over time and not all information is available for every reference entry or article, cannot guarantee each citation it generates. Therefore, it’s best to use citations as a starting point before checking the style against your school or publication’s requirements and the most-recent information available at these sites:

Modern Language Association

The Chicago Manual of Style

American Psychological Association

  • Most online reference entries and articles do not have page numbers. Therefore, that information is unavailable for most content. However, the date of retrieval is often important. Refer to each style’s convention regarding the best way to format page numbers and retrieval dates.
  • In addition to the MLA, Chicago, and APA styles, your school, university, publication, or institution may have its own requirements for citations. Therefore, be sure to refer to those guidelines when editing your bibliography or works cited list.