Truro, diocese of

Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Truro, diocese of. The see, roughly conterminous with Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, was created in 1877. Episcopal oversight of Cornwall, previously Celtic, passed to Canterbury after Egbert's victory over the Cornish c.838, and finally to Crediton (909). The separate see for Cornwall, St Germans, only lasted from 931 to 1027, before reunion with Crediton and a move to Exeter (1050). Not until 1877 did Cornwall have its own see again. Notable bishops of Truro include Edward Benson (1877–83), later archbishop, and Walter Frere (1923–35), previously superior of the Community of the Resurrection, Mirfield (1902–13 and 1916–22), scholar, liturgist, and promoter of Christian unity. The last Anglican ritual riots occurred at St Hilary in 1932. The cathedral, consecrated in 1887 and completed in 1903, incorporated the dilapidated south aisle of St Mary's 16th-cent. parish church. The architect was J. L. Pearson and the style Early English neo-Gothic Revival.

Revd Dr William M. Marshall

More From Encyclopedia.com


MORE ON THIS TOPIC