Council for Wales in the Marches.
Edward IV had large estates as earl of March in the Welsh border and in the 1470s established a council at Shrewsbury under the nominal authority of the infant prince of Wales. Henry VII, Welsh by birth, followed the example. After a period in abeyance, the council seems to have been revived by Thomas Cromwell
. The Act of Union with Wales in 1536 brought the whole area under closer royal supervision and a statute of 1543 established a council with wide authority in Wales and in the border counties of Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, and Gloucestershire. Much of its business was judicial and petitioners were saved a long and expensive journey to London. Unlike the Council of the North
, the Council in Wales was not abolished by the Long Parliament
, though the English border counties were removed from its remit. Reconstituted in 1660, the council never regained its former importance and was abolished in 1689 by 1 Wm. & Mar. c. 27 on the grounds that the ordinary law courts were quite capable of providing justice.
J. A. Cannon