OBERLIN MOVEMENT. This antislavery movement throughout the West began in 1834, when Theodore Dwight Weld, an evangelical abolitionist and protégé of the New York philanthropists Arthur and Lewis Tappan, arrived at the Oberlin Collegiate Institute (now Oberlin College) to lecture and train students as anti-slavery agents. Weld and his followers had come from Lane Theological Seminary in Cincinnati, which they vacated en masse in 1833 when the school's trustees ordered Weld's antislavery society disbanded. The Oberlin Movement's antislavery agents preached, lectured, and distributed tracts against slavery. The Oberlin Movement helped convert much of Ohio and the Northwest to the anti-slavery vanguard.