See also 23. ART .
- 1. the technique of transferring pictures and other designs onto glass, wood, china etc, using specially prepared paper pieces.
- 2. the picture so created. Also called decal .
- decoupage, découpage
- 1. the art or technique of cutting out pictures or designs from paper or other material and applying them to a surface.
- 2. the work produced.
- the ornamenting of the edge of a coin with grooves or other indentations or reliëfs as a deterrent to clipping.
- 1. decoration with festoons, strings of flowers, ribbons, etc, looped in curves between two points
- 2. festoons collectively.
- 1. the process of decorating with a fringe.
- 2. such decoration.
- 1. the process of decorating manuscripts with illustrations, as in the capitals, tracery, etc.
- 2. the decoration itself.
- a form or method of decoration, dating from the Renaissance, consisting of inlaid, mosaiclike patterns, especially of wood.
- a form of decoration, often used in furniture-making, composed of inlays of wood veneers of different colors.
- omamentist, omamentalist
- 1. an artist who specializes in ornamentation.
- 2. a person whose work is considered to be ornament rather than art.
- mosaic work in wood, a form of marquetry, used mostly for floors and wainscoting.
- arrangement in the form of a network, as for decoration. —reticulate, adj.
- decoration composed of multi-colored, small tiles, as found in a mosaic.
- ornamental work, composed of fine, interlaced ribbing or the like, used in windows, sereens, etc.
- ornamentation resembling worm-holes or worm-tracks, as is found in mosaic pavements and rusticated masonry. See also 282. MOTION ; 427. WORMS
More From encyclopedia.com
Woodcut And Wood Engraving , woodcut and wood engraving, prints made from designs cut in relief on wood, in contrast to copper or steel engraving and etching (which are intaglio)… Chopsticks , Chopsticks are a pair of sticks, usually wooden, used for eating Asian food. They originated in China sometime during the Shang dynasty (1766-1122 b.… Grant Wood , Grant Wood Grant Wood The American painter Grant Wood (1891-1942) was one of the principal Regionalists of the 1930s. He depicted his Iowan subjects… Tiger Woods , Woods, Tiger 1975– Professional golfer Tiger Woods is a great athlete, and well on the road to becoming a hero. Before the age of 20, he’ d already a… Hardwood , hardwood •could, good, hood, Likud, misunderstood, pud, should, stood, understood, withstood, wood, would •Gielgud • manhood • maidenhood •nationhood… Engraving , 141. Engraving See also 23. ART ; 305. ORNAMENTATION . acrography the art or technique of carving a wood block in relief. —acrographer , n. —acrograp…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like