Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
Gentz, Heinrich (1766–1811). German architect, he studied under Gontard, and was a leading light of spartan Franco-Prussian Neo-Classicism. He became Hofbaumeister (Court Architect) in Berlin (1795), and won praise for his entry to the 1797 competition for a monument to King Frederick the Great of Prussia (reigned 1740–86). His severe, uncompromising style was demonstrated in the New Mint, Berlin (1798–1800), which also contained (1799–1806) the Bauakademie (Building Academy or School of Architecture), where both Gentz and Friedrich Gilly, his brother-in-law, taught. At the Schloss (Castle or Palace), Weimar, Gentz designed some fine Neo-Classical interiors, including the staircase of the East Wing (an early example of the Greek Revival), the Festsaal (Banqueting Hall), Cedar Room, and Falcon Gallery (1800–3). He also designed an extension to the Prinzessinpalais (Princess's Palace), Berlin (1810), and (with Schinkel) the Greek Doric mausoleum for the beloved Queen Luise of Prussia (1797–1810), Charlottenburg (also 1810).
Doebber (ed.) (1916);
Jericke & and Dolgner (1975);
Watkin & and Mellinghoff (1987)