See also 328. PRINTING .
- 1. the practice of imitation, especially in art or literature.
- 2. an instance of such imitation. —copyist , n.
- an instrument for cutting stencils from which multiple copies of an original can be made. —cyclostylar , adj.
- a device used for the mechanical reproduction of plans, outlines, etc., on any scale.
- an exact copy. —ectypal , adj.
- hectograph, hektograph
- a copy produced by hectography. Also called chromograph .
- hectography, hektography
- a reproductive process involving a prepared gelatin surf ace to which the original writing has been transferred. —hectographic, hektographic , adj.
- the art or practice of producing multiple copies of an original by means of a machine. —mechanographist , n. —mechanographic , adj.
- a mechanical device for making copies of plans or drawings on a scale different from that of the original. —pantographic , adj.
- the transmission of pictures, print, etc., by means of radio or telegraphy. —phototelegraphic , adj.
- a device for producing copies of a drawing or of writing. —polygrapher , —polygraphist , n. —polygraphic , adj.
- a collective term, introduced by UNESCO, for all processes of producing facsimiles of documents.
- Rare. a process for copying a pattern by means of electrolysis.
- a process for copying graphic matter by electrostatically charging a surface in areas corresponding to the printed areas of the original so that powdered resin carrying an opposite charge adheres to them and can be fused to the surface by pressure, heat, or both. —xerographic , adj.
More From encyclopedia.com
Copy , Skip to main content copy cop·y / ˈkäpē/ • n. (pl. cop·ies) 1. a thing made to be similar or identical to another. 2. a single specimen of a particul… xerography , xerox •box, cox, detox, fox, Foxe, Knox, lox, outfox, ox, phlox, pox, Stocks •matchbox •bandbox, sandbox •hatbox • haybox • mailbox • brainbox •paint… Photocopying , Photocopying is the process of photographically reproducing a document of text, illustrations, or other graphic matter. The most common photocopying… Facsimile , facsimile •Billie, billy, Chile, chilli (US chili), chilly, Dili, dilly, filly, frilly, ghillie, gillie, Gilly, hilly, Lillee, lily, Lyly, papillae,… Antisense Dna , Complementary deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is DNA in which the sequence of the constituent molecules on one strand of the double-stranded structure ch… pantograph , pan·to·graph / ˈpantəˌgraf/ • n. 1. an instrument for copying a drawing or plan on a different scale by a system of hinged and jointed rods. 2. a joi…
About this article
Updated About encyclopedia.com content Print Article
You Might Also Like