Castellamonte, Carlo Conte di

Updated About content Print Article Share Article
views updated

Castellamonte, Carlo Conte di (1550/60–1639/40). Trained in Rome, he settled in Turin, working first with Vitozzi, becoming architect-engineer to the Duke of Savoy on Vitozzi's death in 1615, and taking over responsibilities for fortifications from 1627. Castellamonte made an immense contribution to the development of Turin, where his Churches of San Carlo (1619) and Santa Cristina (1635–8) form a festive entrance to his handsome Piazza San Carlo, a grand square enlivened by elegant palazzi. He also designed the Piazza San Giovanni (1630s) and a number of fortresses influenced by developments in France. He was interested in hydraulics and generally in engineering problems. His son, Amedeo (1610–80), succeeded him in his Court appointments, and designed the Chapel of the Holy Shroud (SS Sindone), of 1656, completed later by Guarini. Amedeo was also responsible for the façade of the Palazzo Reale, Turin (1658), and designed the late-Mannerist Palazzo Beggiono di Sant'Albano (1665), as well as numerous fine church-altars.


Brayda et al. (1966);
Brino et al. (1966);
Wittkower (1982)

More From

You Might Also Like