Updated About content Print Article Share Article
views updated

bowtell, bowtelle. Also called boltel, bottle, boultel, boultin, a plain moulding with a convex section, such as a roll-moulding, ovolo, or torus. It is larger than an astragal or bead, and is sometimes used to describe the colonnettes or shafts of medieval clustered piers.