UJ KELET (Hung. "New East"), Zionist newspaper in the Hungarian language which first appeared in Kolozsvár (Cluj), Transylvania, and was later revived in Tel Aviv. On the initiative of Chajjim Weiszburg, a leader of the Zionist Movement, Uj Kelet was launched as a weekly on Dec. 19, 1918. It became a daily in 1920. The first editor was Béla Székely, who was succeeded in 1919 by E. *Marton. From 1927 until the end of its Transylvanian period, the responsible editor was Ferenc Jámbor. After the Hungarian annexation of Cluj in 1940, the Fascist regime banned the paper because of its strong Zionist line. Marton emigrated to Ereẓ Israel after World War ii, and in 1948 the paper reappeared under his editorship in Tel Aviv. David Dezső Schőn, who had been a contributor, participated in its reestablishment and was appointed responsible editor. In Transylvania the paper had always reacted strongly to events affecting world Jewry and fought for the rights of the Jewish communities. Reestablished in Tel Aviv, Uj Kelet encouraged the integration of Hungarian immigrants into Israel's cultural life. Its contributors were mostly survivors of the Holocaust who had been contributors in Transylvania. E. Marton, who died in 1960, was succeeded by his widow, Gisela Marton, while the running of the paper was entrusted to his son Michael Marton.
L. Marton, in: Uj Kelet (Jan. 15, 1954); A. Barzilai, in: Sefer ha-Shanah shel ha-Ittonai'im, 28 (1968), 322–4.