St. Paul, Pious Society of Daughters of
ST. PAUL, PIOUS SOCIETY OF DAUGHTERS OF
A religious congregation (DSP; Official Catholic Directory #0950) with papal approbation (1953), founded in Alba, Italy, in 1915 by the Rev. Giacomo Alberione (1884–1971), assisted by Teresa Merlo (1894–1964), who, as Mother Thecla, was to serve as superior general for 49 years. Both Fr. Alberione and Mother Thecla have been declared venerable. The congregation's purpose is evangelization through the media of mass communication. The Daughters of St. Paul, also known as Paulines, write, edit, and produce Catholic publications, radio programs, videos, and other contemporary media. They distribute religious and cultural books and media through Pauline centers in 50 nations, including the United States and Canada.
The sisters arrived in New York in 1932. Difficult beginnings and gradual expansion took place under the leadership of Sr. Paula Cordero (1908–1991). Since 1956 the provincialate and publishing house (now known as Pauline Books & Media) have been located in Boston. The generalate is located in Rome.
Bibliography: Web site: http://www.pauline.org.
[a. e. heffeman]