St. Teresa of Jesus, Society of
ST. TERESA OF JESUS, SOCIETY OF
Also called Teresian Sisters (STJ; Official Catholic Directory #4020); a religious congregation founded in Spain in 1876 by Enrique de Ossó y Cervelló (1840–96), a priest and seminary professor, for the education of girls. The Holy See issued a decretum laudis and temporary approval of the constitutions in 1888. Definitive approval came in 1908. The Teresians first came to the U.S. in 1910. In the U.S., the sisters are engaged in education at all levels and ministries to the youth. The motherhouse is in Rome. The U.S. provincialate is in Covington, LA.
[j. f. broderick/eds.]