St. Augustine, Sisters of Charity of
ST. AUGUSTINE, SISTERS OF CHARITY OF
(CSA, Official Catholic Directory #0580); a congregation founded in the Diocese of Cleveland, Ohio. On September 24, 1851, in response to the appeal of Amadeus Rappe, first bishop of Cleveland, Mother M. Bernardine Cabaret and Sister M. Françoise Guillement, Augustinian Sisters of St. Louis Hospital, Boulogne-sur-Mer, France, accompanied by two postulants, came to the U.S. They spent the winter of 1851 visiting the sick and the poor in their homes. Within a year after their arrival they opened Cleveland's first general hospital.
When two of the sisters returned to France, Bishop Rappe appointed Mother M. Ursula Bissonnette, a native of Ohio, superior of the new community. In 1853 Mother Ursula provided a small home for dependent boys, a work which later developed into "Parmadale," the Children's Village of St. Vincent de Paul. When increasing population and the return of soldiers wounded in the Civil War called for a larger hospital, Bishop Rappe purchased property and broke ground for St. Vincent Charity Hospital on June 23, 1863. This hospital, greatly expanded, serves the needs of downtown Cleveland. Mother M. Joseph Muselet, with the approval of Bp. Richard Gilmour, opened St. Ann's Hospital and Infant Home on March 17, 1873. This has developed into two separate institutions, St. Ann Hospital and the De Paul Maternity and Infant Home, the latter providing care for unwed mothers and infants.
The Sisters of Charity of St. Augustine (CSA) serve in the Dioceses of Cleveland and Youngstown, Ohio; and Charleston, South Carolina. They operate hospitals and care facilities, and provide all types of healthcare services. Mount Augustine, the motherhouse is located at West Richfield, about 20 miles south of Cleveland. The congregation follows the Rule of St. Augustine and has as its motto: In all things charity.
[m. s. weinheimer]