PRZEDBORZ (Pol. Przedbórz ), town in Kielce province, S. central Poland. Jews lived in Przedborz from the time of the town's earliest development. At the beginning of the 15th century, urban population increased when King Ladislaw ii Jagello granted the merchants of the town privileges according to the *Magdeburg Law. In the years 1550 and 1570 King Sigismund ii Augustus further aided the town's Jews by exempting them from customs duties and certain other payments. In 1595 King Sigismund iii restricted their rights to own houses. The restriction was lifted, however, in 1638 when a fire destroyed the town and it had to be rebuilt. A second fire destroyed Przedborz in 1834. The Jewish population increased during the 19th century when Jews established trade relations with markets of the Russian empire. In 1865 about 75% of the town's population were Jews; in 1921 Jews numbered 3,749 (63.6% of the total population).
[Shimshon Leib Kirshenboim]
Before the outbreak of World War ii, there were about 4,500 Jews in Przedborz. The Jewish community was liquidated on Oct. 9–12, 1942, when all Jews were deported to *Treblinka death camp. After the war, the Jewish community of Przedborz was not reconstituted.
"Przedborz." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 18, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/przedborz
"Przedborz." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Retrieved August 18, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/przedborz