Perpetual Adoration, Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit of
PERPETUAL ADORATION, SISTERS SERVANTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT OF
(S.Sp.S.deA.P., Official Catholic Directory #3540); a cloistered contemplative congregation founded in 1896 at Steyl, Netherlands, by Arnold janssen, SVD, with the collaboration of German-born Mother Mary Tönnies (d.1934). The rule received final papal approval in 1950. Besides adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and the chanting in choir of the Liturgy of the Hours, the sisters engage in manual and literary work. In 1915 the congregation went to the U.S. and took charge of the newly erected Chapel of Divine Love in Philadelphia. The generalate is in Bad Driburg, Germany. The U.S. headquarters is in Philadelphia, Pa.
Bibliography: a. freitag, Tabernakelwacht und Weltmission (2d ed. Steyl 1924).
[v. j. fecher]