MA'BAROT (Heb. מַעְבָּרוֹת; "Fords"), kibbutz in central Israel, near the Alexander River, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. It was founded in 1933, as one of the first villages in the Ḥefer Plain by immigrants from Romania, Germany, Bulgaria, and Hungary, and later joined by others. Its economy was based on farming, such as field crops, citrus groves, orchards, fishery, and dairy cattle, and food enterprises – pet food, milk replacers for calves and lambs, and Materna milk substitutes and baby food. In the mid-1990s, the population was approximately 780, dropping to 734 in 2002.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]