MA'YAN ẒEVI (Heb. מַעְיַן צְבִי), kibbutz in central Israel, on Mt. Carmel near Zikhron Ya'akov, affiliated with Iḥud ha-Kevuẓot ve-ha-Kibbutzim. It was founded in 1938, initially as a *stockade and watchtower settlement, by pioneers of Maccabi ha-Ẓa'ir youth from Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. In 1969 Ma'yan Ẓevi had 540 inhabitants. In the mid-1990s the population was 612, dropping to 491 in 2002. The farm economy was based on avocado plantations, citrus groves, and field crops, carp ponds below on the Carmel Coast plain, and dairy cattle and poultry. The kibbutz also operated factories for optical equipment (Scopus, Meprolight, the latter specializing in military and security needs). The name, "Spring of Ẓevi," commemorates Ẓevi Henri Frank, a director of the *Jewish Colonization Association (ica) in Palestine.
[Efram Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]