KRASNOYE , village in Vinnitsa district, Ukraine. Jews are first mentioned in 1648, when the uprising Cossacks of Chmielnicki neared the town; the Jews fled to Bar and were massacred there. The community was renewed, and numbered 466 in 1765, and it grew after the Russian annexation to 1,747 in 1847, and 2,590 (92% of the total population) in 1897. Most of the shops in town and most of the craftsmen were Jewish. In 1926 there were 2,002 (96%) Jews, though their number dropped to only hundreds on the eve of World War ii. Between the wars a Jewish town council and a Yiddish school operated there. Krasnoye was occupied by Germans on July 19, 1941. After it was annexed to Romanian Transnistria, a ghetto was established for the few hundred local Jews and about 1,000 deportees from Bessarabia and Bukovina. The Jews who lived in the ghetto were compelled to do forced labor. With the assistance of the Jewish aid committee in Bucharest a hospital run single-handedly by a physician who had been deported to Krasnoye was established. When Krasnoye was liberated on March 30, 1944, a few hundred Jews remained there.
H. Cohen, in: Nedelnaya Khronika Voskhoda, 15 (1895), 1350–51; pk Romanyah, 1 (1970), 507.
[Yehuda Slutsky /
Shmuel Spector (2nd ed.)]