Kolodeje Nad Luzici
KOLODEJE NAD LUZICI
KOLODEJE NAD LUZICI (Czech Koloděje nad Lužicí ; Ger. Kaladei ; Kalladay ), village in S. Bohemia, Czech Republic. Its Jewish community, known as ק׳ק׳ק׳, was founded by Jews expelled from nearby Tyn nad Vltavou (Moldautein) in 1681 because it was alleged that they had spread the plague. The local lord built a synagogue (dedicated in 1697) and ten dwelling houses for them. The members of the community were mainly peddlers, some of them trading in Upper Austria, where they remained for months. The seat of the district rabbi for the district of Ceske Budejovice and Tabor was in Kolodeje. R. Samuel *Kauder officiated there (1817–34) before becoming chief rabbi of Prague. In 1721 the community numbered 154 persons; in 1869 there were 258 tax-paying members and 40 children attending the Jewish elementary school. From 153 in 1886, it shrank to 35 in 1904 and eight in 1932, coming to an end soon after. The smaller community in nearby Nezdášov (104 members in 1869) had a similar origin and history; its synagogue collapsed in the late 1920s.
Fried, in: Juedisches Archiv, 2 (1929), no. 3–4, 39–43; no. 5–7, 50–51; no. 8–9, 61–64; Sakař, in: H. Gold (ed.), Die Juden und Judengemeinden Boehmens (1934), 240–5.
"Kolodeje Nad Luzici." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Encyclopedia.com. (August 19, 2018). http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/kolodeje-nad-luzici
"Kolodeje Nad Luzici." Encyclopaedia Judaica. . Retrieved August 19, 2018 from Encyclopedia.com: http://www.encyclopedia.com/religion/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/kolodeje-nad-luzici