Holy Family, Sisters of the
HOLY FAMILY, SISTERS OF THE
(SHF, Official Catholic Directory #1960), a pontifical congregation founded in 1872 by Elizabeth Armer (Mother M. Dolores) under the direction of Archbishop Joseph S. Alemany of San Francisco, California, to provide religious instruction for children unable to attend Catholic schools. The institute was awarded the papal decree of praise and approval in 1931, and final approbation in 1945. Steady growth prompted the transfer of the novitiate in 1949 to Mission San José, California. The Sisters are engaged in the ministries of education, catechetics, daycare centers, parish ministries, retreats, counseling, home visitations and care of the developmentally disabled. The generalate is located in Mission San José, California.
Bibliography: d. j. kavanagh, The Holy Family Sisters of San Francisco … 1872–1922 (San Francisco 1922). m. teresita, "Mother Dolores," Review for Religious 15 (September 1956) 238–46.
[m. t. bihn/eds.]