ḤAẒOR ASHDOD (Heb. חָצוֹר אַשְׁדּוֹד), kibbutz in the southern Coastal Plain of Israel, affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir. It was founded together with 10 other settlements in the south and the Negev on Oct. 6, 1946, by a group which had previously founded *Gevulot as a Negev outpost. The members were joined by pioneer youth from the U.S., Bulgaria, and other countries. Ḥaẓor Ashdod had a population of 535 in 1968 and 560 in 2002. The kibbutz engaged in farming based on field crops and poultry and a number of successful enterprises, including Solbar Industries, manufacturing soy protein concentrates with sales in 45 countries, Danor, specializing in soy phytochemicals, and Safe Place, specializing in safety accreditation. The name Ḥaẓor is assumed to be historical as it is mentioned by Eusebius (Onom. 20:1; 30:22, et al.). The name of the nearest city, *Ashdod, was later added to distinguish between the kibbutz and the development town *Ḥaẓor, situated in Galilee.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]