HA-ZORE'IM (Heb. הַזּוֹרְעִים), religious moshav in eastern Lower Galilee, Israel, affiliated with the Ha-Po'el ha-Mizrachi moshav association. It was founded in 1939 on land provided by the Palestine *Jewish Colonization Association. The settlers, who came from several countries, engaged mainly in raising field crops, livestock, and orchards. In the course of the years farming failed to support the settlers and today only a few still earn their livelihoods in agriculture (poultry, dairy cattle, and vegetables), with most working outside the moshav. Remnants of an ancient village assumed to be Serungiya (or Sirgunya) in the talmudic period (Gen. R. 1:6) were found here. The present settlement initially bore this name but the name of the founding group ("the Sowers") was later officially recognized. In 1968 its population was 300, rising to 400 in 2002, with expansion underway.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]