EVEN YEHUDAH (Heb. אֶבֶן יְהוּדָה), rural settlement in central Israel, 4⅓ mi. (7 km.) southeast of Netanyah. The settlement area consists of 3.2 sq. mi. (8.3 sq. km.). It was founded in 1932 by the members of the *Benei Binyamin movement. Two neighboring villages, Be'er Gannim and Tel Ẓur, later merged with it. In 1950 it received municipal council status. The youth village Hadassim was also included in its boundaries. Citrus orchards constituted the principal branch of its economy. In the early 1970s the settlement began to decline. However, after the Yom Kippur War there was an influx of new residents, so that the population grew from 4,000 in 1968 to 8,480 in 2002, with income much higher than the national average. It is named after Eliezer *Ben-Yehuda.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]