Egmond (Egmont), Abbey of
EGMOND (EGMONT), ABBEY OF
Benedictine abbey dedicated to St. adalbert the deacon, in the Diocese of Haarlem (formerly Utrecht), northern Netherlands. Count Theoderic II of Holland rebuilt c. 950 a church dedicated to St. Adalbert (d. 740) and installed there monks from Ghent. In 1130 Egmond accepted the customs of cluny, and in 1139 the counts of Holland had the abbey made subject to the Holy See; the privilege of pontificals was obtained in 1251. Intervention by the lords of Egmond in abbey affairs caused serious disorders in the 15th century; attempts at reform from 1451 ended with acceptance of the bursfeld reform in 1491. The abbey, united to the mensal revenue of the new See of Haarlem (1561) and then neglected, was pillaged in 1567 and 1572 (during the siege of Alkmaar), deserted, and destroyed by Calvinists (1573). Monks of Saint-Paul of Wisques, in refuge at Oosterhout, founded the Priory of Egmond (1935), since 1950 an abbey in the Congregation of solesmes. The abbey has published Egmondiana (1937–51), called Benedictijns Tijdschrift voor geestelijk leven en geschiedenis since 1951.
Bibliography: l. h. cottineau, Répertoire topobibliographique des abbayes et prieurés, 2 v. (Mâcon 1935–39) 1:1031–32. r. gazeau, Catholicisme. Hier, aujourd'hui et demain, ed. g. jacquemet (Paris 1947–) 3:1471–72. o. baumhauer, Lexikon für Theologie und Kirche, ed. j. hofer and k. rahner, 10 v. (2d, new ed. Freiburg 1957–65) 3:673. a. koch, Dictionnaire d'histoire et de géographie ecclésiastiques, ed. a. baudrillart et al. (Paris 1912–) 15:23–27. o. l. kapsner, A Benedictine Bibliography: An Author-Subject Union List, 2 v. (2d ed. Collegeville, Minn. 1962): v. 1, author part; v. 2, subject part, 2:205.
[n. n. huyghebaert]