DALIYYAH (Heb. דָּלִיָּה), kibbutz in Israel, in the Manasseh Hills of N.W. Samaria; affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi ha-Shomer ha-Ẓair, founded as a "*tower and stockade" settlement on May 2, 1939, by pioneers from Romania and Germany. It constituted part of the "settlement bridge" between the two principal Jewish regions of the time – the Sharon Plain and the Jezreel Valley. In 1968 Daliyyah numbered 610 inhabitants; in 2002, 739. Its economy was based on intensive farming (field crops, orchards) and two industrial enterprises: "Arad" for the production of water meters and fine mechanical instruments, and "Zohar" for soaps and detergents. Dance festivals were held every few years at the kibbutz's open-air amphitheater, a tradition that ceased to exist. The name ("vine tendril" in Hebrew) was taken from Dāliyat al-Rūḥa, a former Arab village in the vicinity.
[Efraim Orni /
Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)]